Matt:
All day I did not feel healthy. My throat was constantly filling with phlegm and as the day wore on I developed a headache. The long, bumpy ride did not help facilitate things. Like Steph, the vast bleakness of the landscape struck me. It was empty and seemingly a weary land for as far as the eye can see. However, whenever we passed shepherds with their cows or goats, life seemed possible. There was much joy in the friendly waves and big smiles. Somewhere, somehow people were surviving even here. Somehow it seems like some people call this place home.
Arriving at the house/church compound was not what I expected. Through some shrubs was our house. In some ways it was further along, and other ways well behind what I had imagined. I was pleased to see how “house-like” the whole thing looked like. The walls were straight, the roof was nicely attached, there were nice grates in the windows and a cute little veranda. The rooms were smaller than I imagined, but I could also pictures this place being a snug warm place to be.
The stop to see food distribution at Ewaso was most useful in starting a rapport with the program leader, Daniael. He complemented our Maasai vocabulary and he felt like somebody I could be friends with. He is smart and friendly, kind and welcoming. He later invited us to the good Friday service in Najile as well as his sister’s wedding. He looked so excited to invite us, I felt truly welcome at that point.
As we came back to Najile to see the final (second) distribution of the day, we had lunch and met some more MFSP/POMC people. Now it seemed like people were starting to warm up to us. The different leaders helped us through Maasai (I was annoyed we couldn’t understand what they were saying even when we knew the words). When I was speaking in Maasai I felt like I was on the inside instead of the outside of the Maasai world. That brought a sense of hope, when we could really speak with these people, be their voice to
As much as in the development world the idea of simply wanting to help others is poo-pooed as for the bleeding hearts, I think the reality is that’s all we’re doing. In some ways POMC is no different than I am, trying to serve people through our faults and strengths. While outsiders bring their own set of short-sightedness, I don’t think we’re inherently “better” or “worse” than locals. We’re all, local and foreign, trying to just help and I think it takes all sorts of people to address the serious issues facing the Maasai people.
After a long day, I am tired. Going into and out of our future world was like jumping from the cold air into the colder pool, back into the night air and then into a hot tub. By the time I almost had my feet in Najile I was bumping and thumping my way back to crazy
No comments:
Post a Comment