Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Intokitin (things)

Entasupa! Things have been increasingly busy as we prepare for Najile. I am starting to even feel bad for our neighbors' kids Walter and Njeri as we haven't played with them at all over the last few weeks. Aside from making endless lists of things to buy and do, we also are working hard at integrating more and more maasai into our daily conversations and watching the Lord of the Rings extended editions. Apparently, the best way for us to relax now is to watch movies and have homemade popcorn. I definitely recommend popcorn made on the stove. It just tastes better, instead of fake non-dairy yellow substance, you can add real butter or just some salt (which is our favorite).

What else is new, for those of you who pay attention to these sorts of things, it seems as if the Sri Lankan civil war is pretty much finished, which is good, though a lot of work needs to be done in that land. Be praying for the home of Serendipity (it used to be called "serendip").

I think the biggest aspect of life that I'm thinking about post-nairobi is work. For all my life I have been training or preparing for work. Global Insight almost counts as real work, but at the same time, it was mostly a time-filler that allowed me to stay in Wilmington for a year. Te Najile, I will be actually doing something that I feel like God has called me to do. This is kingdom work and I am excited to be putting my vocation to such good use. At the same time, I feel like I have real responsibilities as well. I am accountable to God to be excellent in work. I have learned many ways to be honor God in school, in marriage, in friendship etc... but I think the rules change in work. Does being a good worker mean earning the company/organization the most money? Does it mean sharing your faith with coworkers? In school we had tests to measure our success, in real life such cut and dry evaluations rarely exist and when they do, often have little meaning.

2 comments:

Beth Ann said...

Love the updates. I pray things are well.

Blessings,
Beth

The Freys said...

One thing we have recently been struck by is how bizarre it is to have a "someday" goal and then suddenly get there. What is life like when you get to "someday"? Of course there are more "somedays" but this is a pretty big one!

It sounds like you guys have some great times ahead of you!