After a holiday weekend we are now back to the grind of learning Maasai. I wanted to take a little time to praise God for the spiritual developments of our last few months here.
MCC has been going through an ongoing process called, "New Wineskins" which looks at how to restructure organizationally. In the same way, I believe we both have been called to find new spiritual wineskins individually. The scope of the transition and challenges we face make it imperative that we find new ways to know God and pursue our faith.
Early on during our time here, I found a need for daily reliance on God. In the past, it has been hard to know what it means to rely on God when so much of life seemed self-determined. Between where I work, how I relax, how I provide for our needs, it all seemed like a stretch to say "God is providing for me" or "I need God today." In Kenya, things are very different. It has been a great blessing to truly need God to function day-to-day.
Recently, I have been thinking and praying more about my new spiritual wineskins. Do I need to adopt new disciplines, new patterns of doing things to keep my faith healthy and growing? The answer I have been getting is a resounding, "yes." Doing things the old way just doesn't cut it for me now, I get discouraged easily, I am "down" easily, etc... While I don't believe I can "fix" myself by my own works, I want to listen intently to what God is saying to me about my spiritual routines.
So, I am now in a process of discovering my new wineskins. I have been trying to listen more, to spend time in silence (something always difficult for me), to wait on the Lord, and be open to new or different spirituality. I pray that I will not only find the new wineskins, but be ready to taste the goodness of the new wine!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hello Kistlers!
I have been thinking a lot in my life about similar concepts, though I never thought about calling them "wineskins". Being in the USA and working in a cubicle often makes me wish for circumstances that force me to rely on God in everything. Instead I find myself letting the God of corporate America take care of my needs through health insurance and a regular paycheck. Count yourself blessed to be in Africa serving him and others, and let the opportunity grow your faith!
I am hoping to one day go overseas on missions myself, but until then I will have to live vicariously through you! You are in our prayers. God bless.
Post a Comment