With our anniversary coming up, I tend to find myself looking back. I got to thinking about the spring before our wedding. At my bridal showers, my sister put together a quiz about our relationship. One of the questions was “In Summer 2009 where will Matt and Steph be living?” The correct answer was South Africa. We had planned for Matt to enroll in a masters program that took him to South Africa each summer for 3 consecutive years. Instead, God opened the door for Matt to complete his masters in only 1 year and for us to be in Africa doing development work within our first 2 years of marriage. Every-once-in-a-while we have to remind ourselves that we’re really doing this. We’re in Kenya. Doing development work. Working toward real, tangible change in the lives of the people here. We feel incredibly blessed and thankful for the privilege to serve God in this way.
Maasai mix-up: So I was trying to tell some ladies after church today that Matt and I are celebrating our anniversary tomorrow. There is no word for anniversary in Maa, so I was trying to say we have 2 years of marriage. [Kiata enkiyama ilarin oare] Instead, I said, we have 2 months of marriage! [Kiata enkiyama ilapaitin oare] Luckily, Matt noticed my mistake and corrected it before there was too much confusion.
1 comment:
Happy Anniversary!!! I know that I still owe you an email Steph :p
Post a Comment