This past week has been a week without. As has been the case for a few weeks, we have been without a fridge, which also means we are without meat. Kenya is currently going through a electricity rationing regimen because they are producing about 50% of capacity due to no water in the hydro-dams. Three days a week (MWF for Najile) we have no power from 8am-6pm. The water was out this week, meaning I was going off our talk in our roof and carrying water in jerry cans from the MFSP farm. In addition to that, Steph’s trip home meant that for me it was life without Steph.
Despite missing many things, it was a blessed week. God showed me His faithfulness in providing during my “without.” On Sunday, I was really despairing that I would be both angry at people (for various things) and frustrated at church (it went for about 5 hours). However, God was truly faithful, changing my heart, teaching me new lessons and challenging me to grow.
Also, in the midst of going without, it is easy to see the value of what there is. Having electricity or water is like having a party, cause for a celebration. I notice how much I value friends who came by almost every night to just hang out and make sure I wasn’t lonely. Finally, seeing God provide for all my needs each day, from food, to water, to being able to get done, is a blessing that I’ve longed for at home, in a land “with”, and now can experience fully.
Life without can be stressful, can be unproductive, and very lonely. However, we have a God who provides. How can we be without when God is with us?
Thursday, August 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
A great lesson.
Post a Comment