Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Bike Ride

So last week we got our motorcycle, the moment we’ve been waiting for and dreading simultaneously. On one hand, we really appreciate the freedom to move around, go to market etc… that comes with having a bike. On the other hand, it’s scary to do something new.
On Wednesday, we resolved to both practice riding. It was a cool evening, and we had gotten ourselves fired up enough to actually get on the 125 cc bike. I would drive it first, go to Najile and drive back. It should only take about 10 minutes total. After some issues getting the bike started, I was finally off and feeling good. I drove past the demo farm, church, and onto the main road to Najile. I waved to passersby and started to relax and enjoy the ride.
Once at Najile, I thought, why not go a bit farther, I’m having fun. So I turn towards Ngong, with the plan of turning around as soon as possible. I quickly realize the narrow road gives little room to turn around. After a few kilometers, I decided to just stop, manually turn the bike around and start up again. I do this, looking only like a partial doofus to the truckful of people who drove by. Heading back to Najile, I again felt comfortable and was looking forward to reporting back to Steph. Just as I got back to Najile, I noticed the bike was a bit sluggish. In about 20 seconds I was stopped. The bike was out of fuel. I had thought Daniel (who had the bike before) had left a good portion of the tank filled, but since there’s no fuel gauge, I had no idea how far we could go. Fortunately, I stopped just across from a friends’ house, and I had remembered to bring my phone. There’s a petrol station in Najile, but I had no money, so I called Steph to come bring money and I’d walk to the station to get some gas.
After about 15 minutes, Steph arrived with money, though it was now getting dark. The crowd of people who had gathered around the bike, ascertained that the petrol station was probably still open so I hustled my way to Najile center. By the time I got there, it was dark. I couldn’t find the station attendant and couldn’t recognize people in the dark, (one of the problems with having black skin at night). Fortunately, another friend from the Demo Farm saw me and helped me find the attendant, and a jerry can to carry the gas back to the bike.
I stumbled and bumbled my way through the night with my can of gas, hoping that I would even recognize where the bike was in the dark. Again, God was faithful and helped my find my way. Our friend who lived nearby was talking with Steph and of course invited us in for tea. After an hour of drinking tea with our friend and his family, we finally were headed back home. Steph, not excited about starting her bike-riding in the dark, persuaded me to ride home and she would walk back with our friend (and a flashlight). So, once again I saddled up on the bike and inched my way through the night. I nearly missed a few turns, but ended up at home safe and sound and was greeted by a gorgeous display of stars and a few friends who had noticed my absence and were about to start a search for me.
Despite battling overwhelming fear multiple times that night, I made it through. More than that, I realized that even my worst scenario wasn’t so bad, that God was always with me, and that people cared for me and were looking out for me. Hopefully the next time I drive, things will go a little more smoothly. Either way, I know that I am not alone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you got home! My Pastor, Education Pastor and music buddy, along with some other church members, just returned from the Pastor's Conference. They had a great time!

Roger Sharp
Nassau Bay Baptist Church
Houston, TX
http://www.nassaubaybaptist.org/nbbcnew

Amandaz said...

haha...I laughed out loud when I read you ran out of gas. I'm glad that you got home safe.

Anonymous said...

Crazy day! My favorite part is that you were met by a stary sky and friends when you got home. It is great that you have formed such friendships on your journey.