Friday, January 22, 2010

Birthday

January 17th I celebrated a quarter century of life or as my Dad said, "One score and 5 years ago, Mom brought forth on this continent a new redhead, dedicated to the proposition that everyone should sing, play violin and piano."

My first birthday in Kenya was uneventful as far as birthday activities go. The Maasai don't celebrate birthdays and I was too tired from my first week of teaching to care about a party.

Since it was Sunday, most of the day was quite full anyway. We led our Bible study on John 9 and awarded our first Maasai Bible (thank you Clarks) to the person with the best attendance and punctuality. Then in church, I directed the youth drama on the Good Samaritan, which led into Matt's sermon on "what it means to be a Christian." An added bonus, due to Matt's concise preaching, church lasted less than 2 hours.

As we normally do, we came home from church and listened to a CCF service, and we also listened to a talk from Urbana on the incarnation, which we highly recommend, called "Money and Power". Check it out! http://vimeo.com/8450561 Otherwise, we just relaxed. You might say boring, I say, sabbath rest.

Now for all of the wives who say that appliances aren't good gifts, I beg to differ. Matt bought me a blender and we got to enjoy strawberry-banana smoothies. That was a good birthday present. Not quite as good as ice cream... but definitely a nice birthday treat to end the day.

2 comments:

the secretary said...

Happy Birthday Steph! I can see you energized in the classroom. I don't know if your modem has let you see the small video of the recording session I posted where you're trying to get the choir to enunciate the words "take your place"... but it's pretty popular in our house and with Kim and Byron's family to imitate your enthusiastic leading. Thanks.

Becca said...

happy birthday lil red :) i love you!!