Recently, both Steph and I have been craving ice cream. Its one of the things that we can't get regularly but we can get in Nairobi, reminding us of what we are missing. The problem has always been getting it from Nairobi to Najile. The drive has been taking 3-4 hours over the past few months as the roads were even more deteriorated than usual thanks to the heavy rains April-May.
Fortunately, we recently found a faster (less bumpy dirt road) route that gets us from Najile to Ngong in about an hour and a half. Now if we could only get ice cream in Ngong.....
A second revelation was finding an ice cream shop in Ngong where they sell small bowls of ice cream with fruit for the equivalent of 75 cents. This is a start, but not enough to bring home to Najile. A few weeks ago, I decided I would try to find a way to bring home a gallon of ice cream as a surprise for Steph.
I went to the ice cream shop with some of our friends from Ngong, mostly so they could translate into Swahili. I said, "what's the biggest ice cream you can sell us." The guy pointed to a bowl that would be like 2 regular scoops back in the states. I said, "no...I mean, the very most you can give us." The waiter was confused. We went to the freezer-case of ice cream and pointed to the container holding one of the flavors, "we want the whole thing!" It finally dawned on the guy what we were asking. Interestingly enough, he was happy to sell a large box of ice cream for a reasonable price.
Once I had the ice cream, it was a race against time as I drove home to Najile. I made the trip in an hour and a half flat and even was able to sneak the ice cream into the fridge before Steph saw it. Later that night we were looking for a snack when i brought out some ice cream with brownies. The look on Steph's face was priceless.
Thursday, September 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment