Sunday, January 30, 2011

Teacher turned preacher?

Today was an unusual day at Najile POMC church. Normally attendance averages about 150 people, with about 60-70 kids. Due to a variety of events taking place at other churches, attendance was much smaller, about 60 or 70 total. However, the unusual part was the ratio of adults to children. For every 1 adult, there were 6 children.

So... we had children's church for church. The entire service lasted about an hour. I was the preacher, with the help of Matt and Mama Faith (the other Sunday School teacher & translator when I need it). I used the lesson I had planned for children's church, which was from Luke 9 and Mark 10, on "who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" when Jesus invites the children over and says the least of these is the greatest. I had planned to focus on Jesus' love for children and how He, as an important person, didn't ignore the children, but instead welcomed them. Instead it became more of a talk about what makes a child an example of what we should be as Christians. Following Jesus' example in those passages, I ended with a blessing on the children. Short. Simple. Quality preaching? Not really. But I have now done my first sermon.

No comments: