Friday, March 4, 2011

The Two Mothers

In Honor of Steph being a new mother, a parable I've been sharing with Maasai community-groups about how we can help each other:

There once were two mothers, and each had a son. The first son came to his mother and said, "Mother, I want to be a runner. I am a Kenyan and now it is my dream to become a great Kenyan runner. Can you help me?"

The mother replied, "Yes my son. I will help you. I will wake up very early in the morning, I will go out with the dawn and run and run. I will practice until the day of the race, so that you may be a great runner."

The second son came to his mother and asked the same thing, "Mother, I want to be a runner. I am a Kenyan and now it is my dream to become the greatest Kenyan runner. Can you help me?"

The second mother says, "Yes my son, I will help you. I will wake you up early each morning, I will make sure you practice and eat the right foods, I will even run alongside you to make sure you work hard so you may be a great runner."

On the day of the race, which son do you think will win?

The second one will win. In the same way, development NGOs can not do all the work for a community. A community must run itself so an NGO may run alongside a community. Whenever a NGO enters a community and "dumps" an aid project, it is doing all the running for itself. In the day of drought, will that community be ready? No. You as a community must come up with your own solutions to the problems you see so that you may be ready for the drought.
A community group in Olmaroroi

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very clever and very telling..