Saturday, April 16, 2011

Christ is my Righteousness

Recently, Steph and I have been studying Oswald Chambers' "My Utmost for his Highest". The small devotions are just the right size for the 10-minutes of co-sleeping the girls have in the morning. One of the recent devotions emphasized how Christ is our righteousness. It is His presence and His work in our life that bears the fruit of righteousness, not our own efforts.
While this was not a particularly new concept, it struck me. I started to apply that concept to the various times when I feel pride or feel like "man, I'm such a great person." These situations have plagued me since I'm not really sure how to respond when people compliment me or I recognize that I did something praise-worthy. The devotion spurred me to recognize that in those moments, Christ is at work in me, and present in a very real way. By taking the focus off of me and putting it back on Christ, I'm free from pride and free to celebrate the small victories of everyday life.
So the next time you see good in yourself, remember that Christ is at work in you and active at that moment. Hallelujah!

No comments: