Last week, encouraged by the recent rains, I decided to add more trees to our compound. I've always liked the idea of a tree-lined drive so I planted 12 papaya seedlings as well as 4 jacaranda and 2 pepper trees along our driveway and in the yard. Yesterday, I worked with MFSP's nursery manager, Ann, to visit homes that had planted trees from the nursery and train school children on the importance of trees at two primary schools.
All this tree-related work has got me thinking about trees. I truly believe tree-planting is a massive act of hope. You rarely see the full value of the tree you plant. You plant trees for your children and grandchildren so that the earth they inherit is more beautiful than the one we received from our fathers.
At one of the primary schools I was asked to talk and felt like God was nudging me to share that when we restore our land, we're partnering with God (in Kenya there's no concern about separation of church and school). The idea was that God made the earth good. The introduction of sin into the world permanently stained not only humanity but nature itself. As stewards of the land, we have regularly misused, abused or destroyed the land. Christ has come to redeem us and the world, bringing His kingdom to earth spiritually and physically. God uses us, His people, to do that work in acts as simple as planting a tree.
In our community, the desert is rapidly expanding, consuming once-productive land and expelling dead dust. Planting and caring for trees helps slow and even reverse that process, reclaiming dead land that it might be new again. To me, that act of caring for and redeeming that which was lost reflects God in us. Like a tree, these simple acts are long-lasting and beautiful to behold when fully-matured.
No comments:
Post a Comment