Monday, February 16, 2009

Sick!

Since our orientation at MCC ended on the 6th, Steph and I have been living a semi-nomadic life between our parents' houses. Last week was very eventful including every member of the Kleinert family getting sick with the flu (including me), a tree falling into the Kleinerts' bedroom, and one long and nauseous-filled drive from State College to New Tripoli.

Since getting to New Tripoli thursday night, we've spent most of our time in bed. The open house here had to be cancelled, though we got to see Mike's family on Sunday. We were bummed to miss out seeing our extended family, this was probably the last time that would have happened. Oh well.

Yet today, I am encouraged. Looking out the view window of the living room brings such a feeling of peace. I watch the shadow of clouds float across the mountain. I watch birds flying against the wind, bringing glory to God simply by the beauty of their existence. My prayer is that I can find a place of peace like this in Kenya, and trust God to be faithful in these things.

Throughout the last week we've receieved numerous words of encouragment. After a prayer time for us at Steph's church one of the pastors said, "I'm so proud of you guys." My father affirming much of what we've learned at MCC about peace and privilege and saying, "I don't see this as a goodbye." A vision of church members in Najile praying for us during a night of anxiety. All these things have continued our preparation and I hope to keep my eyes out all the more for God's words being spoken around me.

The verse my father gave to me for our trip is Deut 31:6, "Be strong and bold, do not fear or dread them, because it is the Lord your God who goes with you and he will not fail you or forsake you."

In one week we'll be on a plane. We're ready.

2 comments:

Jojo & Scott said...

Matt and Steph, I am so sorry to hear you have been sick.
I pray that you will continue to see glimpses of God and His peace will be with you this last week as you wrap things up.

Grace and Peace

Peter said...

Hey, I'm sick too. Fun. =(