Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Trip to Girthiri Family Butchery

Even Kenyan locals would be quick to tell you that Kenyan food is not what keeps people coming back. Most of the cuisine is pretty utilitarian and during our first few weeks here we hadn't really been impressed with "Kenyan" food we'd got at restaurants.
That being said, last Thursday I got my first taste of good Kenyan food. We went with our language teacher (Jonathan Ololoso) and a former student of his, Yumiko out to lunch. We drove to Kenyatta market (near Kenyatta hospital for those who are mapping things out) and were quickly treated to a scene of pandemonium. Upon seeing foreigners in the car, a host of local "entrepreneurs" looked to help us park. Luckily, Jonathan shooed them away and we found a parking spot. We entered some gates and found a chorus of hissing meat, hawker's calls, and bright conversation. Thick smoke made it hard to see as we wound our way through a narrow alleyway. Again, Jonathan acted as our guide, leading us past numerous sellers of various asundry items (ties, flowers, meat, cell phone chargers etc...). Avoiding the large pit ovens in the pathway, we finally came to the Githiri Family Butchery (proudly proclaimed on a battered old shingle over the premises). The shop had no door, three grimy tables, some wooden benches about 7 feet long, and a display case showing raw cow parts of all sorts (liver anyone?). The flies were flying thickly, quick to descend upon any unguarded soda or meat.
We sat down. Jonathan ordered some matumbo (like green mashed potatoes), ugali (the white corn-based staple of Kenya), chips (french fries) and meat. We went back outside to "wash our hands" meaning rub our hands under some water heated by the noonday sun. Taking our seats again, we waited for the meat. Soon enough, one of the cooks came in with a cutting board filled with still-smoking beef. He chopped it into bite-sized bits and poured 4 piles of salt around the corners of the board. We dug right in. The meat was as good as any I'd had, rich and flavored by the ugali and salt. We ate and ate, finishing off the solid pound of beef. We ordered another plate of meat and conversation halted as we polished off round two. Altogether it must have been about 2 pounds of meat, for a grand total of Ksh 300 (that's $3.75). Unfortunately, we left our camera at the apartment or we would have posted some pictures. Either way, we'll surely not forget our meal at the Githiri Family Butchery.

5 comments:

The Freys said...

2 pounds of meat! I don't know how I'd type the sound that Tim Allen makes on Home Improvement, but I think it's in order now. "Arhhhh Arhhhh Arhhh!"

CP said...

Hey guys, sounds like fun. I love ugali and suku mawiki, reminds me of my childhood. Good luck fitting in. My parents tell me there are amazing indian resteraunts in Nairobi. Stay safe!
--Chris Thompson

Terri said...

wow you guys. would love to have been there with you and the meat!!! praying for you, and so excited about your adventures. love ~ Terri

nakedfurniture said...

Wow. You guys put me to shame in the quantity of food eating contest. What a great story!

Sarah and I miss you guys terribly. Hope you are doing well. Are you having dreams about meat yet? :)

Ned said...

That sounds pretty tasty. But I wonder, do you ever try to cook up recipes from the States? Not quite sure what is readily available over there, but maybe you could introduce your new friends to scrapple, or a good old cheese steak?

'Thought I'd say hi (Steph says hi too) and I hope all is well in Africa. It seems like you're adjusting well, and also don't be strangers (Facebook, I suppose) when you have the time.

God bless and enjoy the salesmen!