Just a quick update about the friendliness of the Maasai. I wanted to start on our little garden behind our house. The dirt here is hard and the shovels are short and weak. I needed to turn over the ground and enrich the land with manure to prepare it for planting later. Since the shovels are worthless, I started at the ground with a pick and a hoe (of sorts…more like a fork). I set out at marking the beds I wanted to dig, a 5X5 meter plot which goes well with the drip irrigation kit I have.
Well, this was hard work. The earth is tough and each swing of the pick took energy out of me. Within minutes, some men come over and asked to help. Before long, a dozen other women had come over to help dig. While I had hoped to maybe clear one bed-worth of land this day, I quickly realized that we would finish all the digging this morning. What a great blessing to be part of a community that cares for one another. This community that we can barely communicate with is still willing to serve us and show us that they love to have us here. Truly, those who are materially poor have much to offer, especially when they are filled with the Holy Spirit.
No comments:
Post a Comment