Monday, January 25, 2010

Cross-cultural faux-pas


So today, I was teaching on duple and triple meter. I was using rhythm syllables and having students keep beat to “discover” the meter of the music we were singing. But surprisingly, my usually very well-behaved students kept laughing and making faces at each other. I could tell that the syllables, which mean nothing in English, clearly meant something funny in Maa. I rebuked them for their poor behavior, and said it was unacceptable to laugh, these are words that help understand meter, they don't mean anything, yadayada, and moved on.

After class, I went and asked Joseph, who has basically become our cultural guide, why my students were laughing. I discovered, that “du-de” (which is rhythm syllables) sounds very much like the shortened version of the word for feminal private parts in Maa. I also learned that “Today” sounds even more like the same word. It dawned on me that in every class I have been using at least one song with the word today in it. Welcome to cross-cultural teaching with middle school students.

1 comment:

Music Grad Students at UD said...

Stephanie,
A very funny story! Gordon might get a kick out of this. He would probably recommend his earlier version based on tometics: 1-ne, 2-ne or 1-na-ni, 2-na-ni. Then when dividing you would use ta, like beat function syllables 1-ta-ne-ta or 1-ta-na-ta-ni-ta.

Interesting to see how things do/do not translate from culture to culture.

Suzanne