Sunday, February 13, 2011

Friends

Today's sermon on Mark chapters 1-2 sparked a new idea for me. Regarding the relationship between John the Baptist and Jesus, I'd always seen them as two characters that interacted only on a few important occasions, each with their own job to do. What I've never considered is that they were cousins. Even today, I know all my cousins well and have spent lots of time with them. I'd imagine that would be even more the case in the Jewish culture of Jesus' time. These two probably played together, spent time together, knew each other well.
Fast forward to age 30 and re-think the statement John makes, "are you the one?" I always put the emphasis on "the one"....two strangers meeting with John trying to decipher whether this powerful teacher was the one for whom he was preparing the way. But today it struck me that the inflection could be on the "you"....You the one I've known all along....you are the messiah?
The possibility of the two knowing each other reminded me of Harry Potter and his friendship with Ron. Ron and Harry both struggle with Harry's fame. Ron is jealous and Harry doesn't want what has been given him. This seems like a very natural reaction when two friends are confronted with the fame of one. However, that dynamic does not seem to appear in the gospels. Christ knew who He was and was not ashamed. John knew who he was, and was happy to play his role. When we die to our own ambition and self, in Christ, we can be free to be just who God made us to be, and appreciate others for who they've been made to be.

No comments: